The CAQ publishes a monthly Public Policy and Technical Alert (PPTA), which highlights and examines the regulatory, standard-setting, legislative, and broader financial reporting developments impacting the public company audit profession. This alert is designed to keep member firms and other stakeholders updated on significant public policy and accounting matters.
View the most recent edition of the PPTA newsletter below, and scroll down for older editions of the newsletter.
Sign up now to receive the Public Policy & Technical Alert newsletter monthly to your inbox.
Please note that the PPTA is intended as general information and should not be relied upon as being definitive or all-inclusive. The CAQ encourages member firms to refer to the rules, standards, guidance, and other resources in their entirety at the hyperlinks provided below. All entities should carefully evaluate which requirements apply to their respective organizations.
SEC Division of Examinations Announces 2023 Priorities
The SEC’s Division of Examinations announced its 2023 examination priorities. The Division publishes its examination priorities annually to provide insights into its risk-based approach, including the areas it believes present potential risks to investors and the integrity of the U.S. capital markets. The following are a selection of the Division’s 2023 priorities:
- New Investment Adviser and Investment Company Rules
- RIAs to Private Funds
- Retail Investors and Working Families
- Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG)
- Information Security and Operational Resiliency
- Emerging Technologies and Crypto-Assets
SEC Seeks Applicants for Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Seat
The SEC announced the start of the selection process to fill a seat on the PCAOB that will become vacant in October. The PCAOB appointment is for a five-year term from October 2023 through October 2028. Under the current composition of the PCAOB Board, the candidate selected must be or have been a Certified Public Accountant. Applications are due by March 7, 2023.
SEC Updates Compliance and Disclosure Interpretations (C&DI) for Regulation S-K Item 402(V) Pay Versus Performance
The SEC updated Section 128D and 228D Pay Versus Performance. See the new C&DIs Questions and Answers at 128D.01 through 128D.13, and 228D.01 through 228D.02.
Accounting Standard Setting in a Rapidly Evolving Business Environment: A Focus on the Timely Delivery of Investor Priorities
The SEC posted a statement by Chief Accountant Paul Munter on improving the accounting standard-setting process. Munter says the SEC issued a statement a year ago about the efforts of the FASB, notes that the Board’s technical and research agendas were reprioritized, and adds that it has recently made progress on many reprioritized projects, such as disaggregation of income statement expenses; accounting for and disclosure of crypto assets; improvements, including further disaggregation, to income tax disclosures; and segment reporting. Munter addresses enhancing the accounting standard-setting process and producing timely, high-quality accounting standards updates responsive to investor priorities.
The PCAOB Expects Firms to Remedy Quality Control Deficiencies
The PCAOB released Spotlight: Additional Insights on the Remediation Process. The report discusses the PCAOB’s expectations for firms when remedying quality control deficiencies.
PCAOB Announces Agenda for March 9 Meeting of Its Investor Advisory Group (IAG)
The PCAOB will hold a virtual meeting of its IAG on Thursday, March 9, 2023, at 12:30 p.m. ET. The discussion will center on fraud, digital assets, and inspection and data transparency. Viewers can join via Webex.
Financial Accounting Foundation (FAF) Debuts Enhanced Free Access to Online Accounting Standards Codification and Governmental Accounting Research System
The FASB announced that the FAF launched its free, enhanced online access to the Accounting Standards Codification and the Governmental Accounting Research System, implementing a change announced to stakeholders last month. The Codification is the complete and official version of Generally Accepted Accounting Standards (GAAP) published by the FASB, while GARS is the complete and official version of GAAP published by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board. The new system provides enhanced features compared to the former free offering including enhancements to navigation, search, printing, and copy and paste.
Cost of Business Report
AICPA & CIMA announced that they set out proposals that could help bring down inflation faster. The AICPA & CIMA inflation report includes research among their members and finds that the current inflation problem has multiple drivers outside of monetary policy and the war in Ukraine. The report highlights how management accountants are already supporting their businesses in dealing with the consequences and effects of high inflation, and how their skill sets are supporting effective mitigation strategies for their businesses. The report also shows what strategies and actions finance leaders globally are taking to mitigate risks against inflation for their businesses, and identifies several additional areas where action could be taken.
Momentum Builds for Corporate ESG Reporting and Assurance, Yet Disclosure Inconsistencies Linger, Study Finds
The AICPA & CIMA announced that a new study with the International Federation of Accountants reveals that 95% of large companies reported on ESG matters in 2021, the latest year available, up from 91% in 2019. The study also reveals 64% of companies obtained assurance over at least some ESG information in 2021, up from 51% in 2019.
New Technology-Focused FAQ From International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (IAASB)
The Technology Consultation Group of the IAASB released non-authoritative support material to help address certain frequently asked questions about investigating exceptions and the concept of performance materiality when performing audit procedures using automated tools & techniques. The publication does not amend or override the International Standards on Auditing (ISAs), the texts of which alone are authoritative. Reading the publication is not a substitute for reading the ISAs.
February 2023 International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) Agenda and Meeting Papers
The IASB posted the agenda and papers for its February 2023 meeting, items include:
- Dynamic Risk Management
- Financial Instruments with Characteristics of Equity
- Rate-regulated Activities
- Maintenance and Consistent Application
- Business Combinations—Disclosures, Goodwill, and Impairment
- Post-implementation review of IFRS 9—Impairment
Global Ethics Board Raises Expectations of Ethical Conduct in Tax
The International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants (IESBA) released for public comment the Exposure Draft Proposed Revisions to the Code Addressing Tax Planning and Related Services. Among other matters, the proposed ethical framework:
- Explains the types of threats to compliance with the fundamental ethics principles of the Code that might be created when professional accountants are involved in tax planning.
- Sets a clear principle that professional accountants recommend or otherwise advise on a tax planning arrangement only if they have determined that there is a credible basis in laws and regulations for it.
- Requires consideration of the reputational, commercial and wider economic consequences that could arise from the way stakeholders might view the tax planning arrangement before determining whether to proceed with the recommendation or advice.
- Provides practical guidance to assist professional accountants in navigating situations of uncertainty when carrying out tax planning.
- Deals with other practical matters, including disagreement with the client or management or those charged with governance, and documentation.
FRC Publishes IFRS 9 Banking Audit Methodology Thematic
The FRC published a thematic review on the Big 4 audit firms’ methodology around IFRS 9, focusing on the audit of Expected Credit Losses (ECL) for larger banks. The review identifies several examples of good practice, including around the auditing of ECL models and assumptions, but also highlights areas for improvement, such as the guidance provided on testing judgmental aspects of Significant Increase in Credit Risk. The FRC expects this to be a useful resource for auditors, audit committees, and stakeholders in the banking sector, highlighting the importance of consistent and appropriate application of IFRS 9 audit methodology, to ensure high quality auditing is performed over this critical and judgmental area.
IESBA Strengthens and Clarifies Independence Requirements for Group Audits
The IESBA released final revisions to the International Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants (including International Independence Standards) to address holistically the various independence considerations in an audit of group financial statements. The revisions also deal with the independence and other implications of the changes made to the definition of an engagement team in the Code to align with changes to the definition of the same term in the International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board’s International Standards on Auditing and International Standards on Quality Management. The pronouncement will be effective for audits of financial statements and group financial statements for periods beginning on or after December 15, 2023, with early adoption permitted.
PCAOB: A Firm’s System of Quality Control (QC)
The CAQ posted a comment letter that provides views to the PCAOB related to its request for comment on A Firm’s System of Quality Control and Other Proposed Amendments to PCAOB Standards, Rules, and Forms. The CAQ supports the objectives of the proposal as set forth by the Board, but expresses some overarching concerns that it encourages the Board to address in the final standard. These include:
- Prescriptiveness without commensurate benefit to audit quality
- Foundational differences between QC 1000 and ISQM 1
- Parallels between QC 1000 for audit firms and Sarbanes-Oxley for issuers
- Other key issues
PCAOB: The Auditor’s Use of Confirmation
The CAQ posted a comment letter that provides views to the PCAOB related to its request for comment on The Auditor’s Use of Confirmation, and Other Proposed Amendments to PCAOB Standards. The CAQ supports the Board’s objectives of updating its interim standard related to the confirmation process as the confirmation process has continued to evolve since adoption. The CAQ also expresses some overarching concerns that it encourages the Board to address in the final standard. These include:
- Risk assessment and auditor judgment
- Persuasiveness of audit evidence
Audit Committee Effectiveness: A Webinar Series
The CAQ announced the second episode of Audit Committee Effectiveness: a webinar series, which will explore insights from the CAQ and Deloitte’s Center for Board Effectiveness’ Audit Committee Practices Report: Priorities and Committee Composition. The episode is scheduled for March 29, 2023, 1PM – 2PM ET.
Recent PPTA newsletters
In this issue:
- SEC Division of Examinations Announces 2023 Priorities
- SEC Seeks Applicants for Public Company Accounting Oversight Board Seat
- SEC Updates Compliance and Disclosure Interpretations (C&DI) for Regulation S-K Item 402(V) Pay Versus Performance
- Accounting Standard Setting in a Rapidly Evolving Business Environment: A Focus on the Timely Delivery of Investor Priorities
- The PCAOB Expects Firms to Remedy Quality Control Deficiencies
- PCAOB Announces Agenda for March 9 Meeting of Its Investor Advisory Group (IAG)
- Financial Accounting Foundation (FAF) Debuts Enhanced Free Access to Online Accounting Standards Codification and Governmental Accounting Research System
- Cost of Business Report
- Momentum Builds for Corporate ESG Reporting and Assurance, Yet Disclosure Inconsistencies Linger, Study Finds
- New Technology-Focused FAQ From International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (IAASB)
- February 2023 International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) Agenda and Meeting Papers
- Global Ethics Board Raises Expectations of Ethical Conduct in Tax
- FRC Publishes IFRS 9 Banking Audit Methodology Thematic
- IESBA Strengthens and Clarifies Independence Requirements for Group Audits
- PCAOB: A Firm’s System of Quality Control (QC)
- PCAOB: The Auditor’s Use of Confirmation
- Audit Committee Effectiveness: A Webinar Series
In this issue:
- SEC Updates Agency Rule List (Reg. Flex Agenda)
- Paul Munter Named Chief Accountant
- SEC Updates Compliance and Disclosure Interpretations (C&DI) for Exchange Act Rules
- SEC updates C&DI for Exchange Act Forms
- SEC Division of Corporation Finance Updates the Financial Reporting Manual (FRM)
- Changes to Online Access to Accounting Standards Codification and Governmental Accounting Research System
- Perform Effective Risk Assessments to Improve Audit Quality
- International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) Proposes Temporary Relief From Deferred Tax Accounting for OECD Pillar Two taxes
- International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board (IAASB) Launches Consultation on Proposed Strategy and Work Plan for 2024-2027
- IAASB Digital Technology Market Scan: Robotic process Animation
- January 2023 IASB Agenda and Meeting Papers
- IAASB Begins Work on Global Standards for ESG Assurance
- IAASB Opens Public Consultation on Less Complex Group Audits
- FRC Updates 2021 Statement of Intent on Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG)
- IASB Gives Insights into Decisions Made on Merger and Acquisition Disclosures and Goodwill Accounting
- Leading Accounting Organizations Partner to Diversify the Accounting Profession
- Audit Committee Practices Report: Priorities and Committee Composition
- CAQ Alert 2023-01: Updates to SEC Non-GAAP Financial Measures Compliance and Disclosure Interpretations (C&DIs)
In this issue:
- SEC issues sample letter to companies regarding recent developments in crypto asset markets
- SEC updates Compliance & Disclosure Interpretations (C&DI) for Proxy Rules and Schedule 14A
- SEC updates Compliance & Disclosure Interpretations (C&DI) for Non-GAAP Measures
- SEC final rule Insider Trading Arrangements and Related Disclosures
- Post-implementation review of AS 2501, auditing accounting estimates, including fair value measurements; amendments to auditing standards for auditor’s use of the work of specialists
- Audits with deficiencies increased in 2021, according to new PCAOB staff report
- Fact sheet: PCAOB secures complete access to inspect, investigate Chinese firms for first time in history
- PCAOB proposes new standard for the auditor’s use of confirmation
- FASB improves certain transition requirements in long-duration insurance guidance
- FASB defers sunset date of reference rate reform guidance
- Enhance audit quality from the top down
- Monitoring Group reports on progress to implement recommendations to strengthen the international audit and ethics standard-setting system
- FRC’s new AQIs give greater insight into audit quality
- Call for papers on hedge accounting requirements of financial instruments accounting standard
- FRC launches Audit & Assurance Sandbox
- New IAASB fact sheet helps auditors navigate quality management for group audits
- New edition of the IAASB handbook now available on the IAASB website
- The IESBA releases update on sustainability work
- IASB publishes its review of classification and measurement requirements relating to financial instruments
In this issue:
- SEC publishes FY22-26 Strategic Plan
- SEC Final Rule, Enhanced Reporting of Proxy Votes by Registered Management Investment Companies; Reporting of Executive Compensation Votes by Institutional Investment Managers
- PCAOB’s Standards and Emerging Issues Advisory Group (SEIAG) meeting
- PCAOB approves 2023 budget, strategic plan to protect investors
- PCAOB proposes a new quality control standard
- PCAOB launches Technology Innovation Alliance Working Group
- FASB seeks input on proposed new chapter of its Conceptual Framework: Recognition and derecognition
- FASB seeks input on proposed improvements to leases guidance on related party arrangements between entities under common control
- Compilation of Agenda Decisions: Volume 7 published
- ISSB at COP27: CDP to incorporate ISSB Climate-related Disclosures Standard into global environmental disclosure platform
- FRC launches consultation on audit committees standard
- IOSCO statement on financial reporting and disclosure during economic uncertainty
- FRC sets out principles for public interest test
- IAASB issues guidance on how amendments made to IFRS Standard IAS 1 impact the ISAs
- IFRS Foundation proposes changes to the IFRS Accounting Taxonomy 2022 to improve quality of tagged data
- IESBA releases comprehensive research on impacts of technology on ethics; reaffirms relevance, applicability, and need for #IESBACode in accounting profession
- FRC publishes what makes a good environment for auditor skepticism and challenge
- IASB votes to retain impairment-only approach for goodwill accounting
- IASB proposes accelerated narrow-scope amendments to Accounting Standard on income taxes
- Jumpstart your digital assets journey: A tool for audit committees
- Audit Partner Pulse Survey, Fall 2022
- 2022 Audit Committee Transparency Barometer
- Audit Committee: The Kitchen Sink of the Board
In this issue:
- SEC reopens comment periods for several rulemaking releases due to technological error in receiving certain comments
- The auditor’s responsibility for fraud detection
- SEC adopts rule amendments to modernize how broker-dealers preserve electronic records and enhance the electronic recordkeeping requirements for security-based swap entities
- SEC adopts listing standards for recovery of erroneously awarded compensation
- PCAOB Investor Advisory Group (IAG) Meeting
- The PCAOB updates its standard-setting and research agendas to reflect progress on a key strategic goal of modernizing standards
- Barbara Vanich named PCAOB Chief Auditor
- FASB seeks input on proposal to improve segment reporting
- FASB seeks input on proposed new chapter of its Conceptual Framework: The reporting entity
- FASB seeks input on proposed improvements to accounting for joint venture formations
- AICPA & CIMA offer resources for organizations requiring an audit of Covid relief funding
- Exposure draft, criteria for quality control materials (QCM) content
- System of quality management call to action: Strengthening audit quality
- IESBA staff issues alert highlighting key ethics and independence considerations for professional accountants in relation to the military conflict in Ukraine
- G7 reiterates commitment to mandatory climate disclosures and welcomes the ISSB’s work on global baseline
- IESBA issues staff publication highlighting the relevance and applicability of the IESBA Code in combating greenwashing
- IAASB opens public consultation for Revised Audit Evidence Standard
- IASB adds narrow-scope project to work plan on possible amendments to financial instruments Accounting Standard
- FRC publishes Annual Review of Corporate Reporting
- IASB amends accounting standard to improve information about long-term debt with covenants
- S&P 500 ESG reporting
- How do auditors maintain independence?
- Auditor independence
- PCAOB: The Application and Use of the PCAOB’s Interim Attestation Standards
In this issue:
- Audit quality and investor protection under the Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act
- SEC Division of Corporation Finance to add industry offices focused on crypto assets and industrial applications and services
- Inflation Adjustments Under Title I and III of the JOBS Act
- PCAOB staff requests information and comment on application and use of the PCAOB’s interim attestation standards
- FASB issues standard to enhance transparency around supplier finance programs
- IASB publishes proposals to update its Accounting Standard for small and medium-sized entities
- Now available: IESBA handbook 2022 edition
- IOSCO encourages standard-setters’ work on assurance of sustainability-related corporate reporting
- IASB issues narrow-scope amendments to requirements for sale and leaseback transactions
- Taskforce on Disclosures about Expected Credit Losses (DECL) updated guidance
- Revisions to ISA (UK) 600 Special Considerations: Audits of group financial statements (Revised September 2022)
- JICPA and IESBA staff issue joint guidance illustrating application of IESBA Code to technology-related scenarios
- UKEB report on Subsequent Measurement of Goodwill: A Hybrid Model published
- S&P 500 10-K Analysis
- The Center for Audit Quality and EVERFI announce national high school curriculum designed to attract more diversity into the accounting profession
- CAQ submits comment letter to the PCAOB related to its Draft 2022-2026 PCAOB Strategic Plan
- CAQ submits comment letter to the SEC related to its Draft 2022-2026 Strategic Plan
In this issue:
- SEC appoints Anthony C. Thompson to second term on PCAOB
- SEC publishes draft FY22-26 strategic plan for public comment
- SEC adopts pay versus performance disclosure rules
- SEC Updated Questions and Answers (Q&A) for Compliance and Disclosure Interpretations (C&DI) of Rule 14a-19
- Auditor independence and ethical responsibilities: Critical points to consider when contemplating an audit firm restructuring
- PCAOB seeks public comment on five-year strategic plan for protecting investors
- The PCAOB releases 2022 audit committee resource
- The PCAOB issues annual report on inspections of broker-dealer audits
- PCAOB signed a Statement of Protocol with the China Securities Regulatory Commission and the Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China
- The PCAOB provides 2021 observations from the target team, a group of inspectors who focus on emerging audit risks and topics
- FASB issues 2022 Investor Outreach Report
- SEC accepts 2022 Q3 Supplemental GAAP Taxonomy
- FASB seeks input on proposal to improve accounting for investments in tax credit structures
- More companies obtaining ESG assurance, according to global survey
- Embrace fluidity and remove the risks of remote audits
- IAASB issues new frequently asked questions for reporting going concern matters in the auditor’s report
- IFRS Foundation completes consolidation with Value Reporting Foundation
- FRC publishes recommendations to improve digital security disclosure
- FRC publishes snapshots of current practice in auditor reporting
- Better ESG data drives more impactful decision-making by companies
- CAQ Symposium 2022
- Pop-up conversation with Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.) and Mark Baer of Crowe
- LinkedIn Live | Audit partner observations: The economy, corporate reporting and more
In this issue:
- Jaime Lizarraga sworn in as SEC Commissioner
- Comment on the Financial Accounting Foundation Draft Strategic Plan
- Prepared remarks at Center for Audit Quality ‘Sarbanes-Oxley at 20: The Work Ahead’
- PCAOB Chair Williams remarks on 20th anniversary of Sarbanes-Oxley Act and establishment of the PCAOB
- FASB proposes to improve certain transition requirements in long-duration insurance guidance
- AICPA solicits feedback on CPA Exam Exposure Draft
- Jeremy Osborn appointed AICPA & CIMA’s lead on ESG
- Artificial intelligence is a game changer for auditors
- Assurance in the Digital Age
- IAASB proposes narrow scope amendments to operationalize changes to the IESBA Code that enhance transparency about independence
- IOSCO published its Crypto-Asset Roadmap for 2022-2023
- IESBA staff releases Q&As to spotlight key changes to the non-assurance services provisions of the IESBA Code
- FRC sets out next steps in transition to new regulator
- FRC seeks assurances from audit firms and professional bodies on exams cheating
- Spearheading change to enhance confidence in audits and assurance
- FRC publishes latest audit quality review results
- New implementation guide available for identifying and assessing the risks of material misstatement in an audit of financial statements
- International Accounting Standards Board (IASB) sets out its 2022-2026 priorities
- Audit Partner Pulse Survey, Q2 2022
- BlackRock’s Dalia Blass, EY’s Julie Boland appointed to CAQ Governing Board
- Financial Accounting Foundation: Strategic Plan Draft for Public Comment
- SOX: The Evolution of Corporate Reporting
- International Sustainability Standards Board: IFRS S1 and S2 for public comment
In this issue:
- The critical importance of the general standard of auditor independence and an ethical culture for the accounting profession
- SEC Division of Corporation Finance updates Compliance and Disclosure Interpretations (CD&Is)
- SEC announces spring 2022 regulatory agenda
- SEC adopts rules to require electronic filing for investment advisers and institutional investment managers
- Mark T. Uyeda sworn in as SEC Commissioner
- Saba Qamar named Investor Advocate at the PCAOB
- PCAOB adopts new requirements for lead auditor’s use of other auditors
- PCAOB issues Spotlight providing staff overview for planned 2022 inspections
- Financial Accounting Foundation (FAF) issues 2021 annual report
- FASB publishes its 2021 Agenda Consultation Report
- FASB issues standard to improve fair value guidance for equity securities
- Auditors staying focused on quality management
- Tom Seidenstein reappointed as IAASB chair
- IFIAR comments on the IESBA Proposed Exposure Draft on Proposed Revisions to the Code Relating to the Definition of Engagement Team and Group Audits
- IFRS Foundation Trustees appoint four further members to the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB)
- IESBA commits to readying global ethics and independence standards timely in support of sustainability reporting and assurance
- IAASB Digital Technology Market Scan: Natural language processing
- IFRS Foundation and Value Reporting Foundation (VRF) vote to approve consolidation from July 1
- FRC seeks stakeholders’ views on publicly available audit quality indicators to drive audit quality improvements
- FRC publishes first of its kind professional judgement guidance for auditors
- International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB) and Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) provide update on ongoing collaboration
- PCAOB: Estimates and specialists post-implementation review
- CAQ comments on SEC climate disclosure rule proposal, supports objectives but identifies needed changes
In this issue:
- Sample letter to companies regarding disclosures pertaining to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and related supply chain issues
- SEC extends comment period for proposed rules on climate-related disclosures
- Resolving the lack of audit transparency in China and Hong Kong: Remarks at the International Council of Securities Associations annual general meeting
- SEC proposes to enhance disclosures by certain investment advisers and investment companies about environmental, social, and governance (ESG) investment practices
- SEC posts meeting agenda for investor advisory committee meeting
- The future of auditing
- PCAOB updates standard-setting and research agendas
- PCAOB announces members of new advisory groups, sets dates for first meetings
- Q&A: Accounting standard setters serve the public interest
- New IAASB fact sheet addresses engagement team definition
- Accountancy Europe issues factsheet on audit quality indicators: a global overview of initiatives
- IAASB issues new non-authoritative guidance on fraud in an audit of financial statements
- IESBA staff releases benchmarking report comparing the international independence standards with US SEC and PCAOB independence standards
- Path to global baseline: International Sustainable Standards Board (ISSB) outlines actions required to deliver global baseline of sustainability disclosures
- Watch now – IESBA discussion on sustainability and ethics
- Updated international standards on auditing
- FRC publishes inspection key findings and good practices
- FRC welcomes government plans to bring forward audit and corporate governance reforms
- NABA, Inc. and CAQ form strategic partnership to build pipeline for historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs)
- SEC: Cybersecurity risk management, strategy, governance, and incident disclosure
In this issue:
- Statement from the Chair: “Working on ‘team cyber’”
- PCAOB requests comment on the impact of auditing requirements related to estimates and specialists
- Jackie Cottrell to depart as director of the PCAOB’s Office of External Affairs
- PCAOB 2021 annual report
- FASB proposes updates to reference rate reform guidance
- How high-quality audits protect the public interest and propel businesses forward
- Great audit methodologies can enhance your data analytics
- IFRS Foundation publishes 2021 annual report
- FRC publishes 3-Year Plan takes further steps towards ARGA
- IAASB 2022-2023 work plan approved by the Public Interest Oversight Board
- IAASB modernizes its standard for group audits in support of audit quality
- IESBA expands universe of entities that are public interest entities
- Looking beyond 2023: IESBA calls for stakeholder input on future strategy
- IFIAR 2021 Annual Report
- IOSCO releases report on issues and considerations of market data in secondary equity markets
- IFAC releases new implementation tool for auditors
In this issue:
- SEC proposes rules on cybersecurity risk management, strategy, governance, and incident disclosure by public companies
- Statement from the Acting Chief Accountant: Assessing materiality: Focusing on the reasonable investor when evaluating errors
- SEC proposes rules to enhance and standardize climate-related disclosures for investors
- SEC Division of Corporation Finance updates CD&Is
- SEC proposes rules to enhance disclosure and investor protection relating to special purpose acquisition companies, shell companies, and projections
- SEC publishes Staff Accounting Bulletin No. 121 related to crypto-assets
- PCAOB releases Spotlight on the use of a service provider in the confirmation process
- PCAOB shares perspective from 2021 Conversations With Audit Committee Chairs
- PCAOB adopts charters for its two new advisory groups
- PCAOB highlights key considerations for auditors related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine
- SEC accepts 2022 GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy and SEC Reporting Taxonomy
- FASB improves and expands hedge accounting
- FASB expands disclosures and improves accounting related to the credit losses standard
- IESBA Technology Experts Group members appointed
- IAASB Digital Technology Market Scan: Artificial intelligence A Primer
- IOSCO explains how decentralized finance is cloning financial markets
- IFRS Foundation publishes IFRS Accounting Taxonomy 2022
- IFIAR releases 2021 report on annual survey of audit inspection findings
- ISSB delivers proposals that create comprehensive global baseline of sustainability disclosures
- ISSB communicates plans to build on SASB’s industry-based Standards and leverage SASB’s industry-based approach to standards development
- AICPA & CIMA announce suspension of services in Russia and Belarus
- Putting CPAs in TPAs
- The value of an effective vendor risk management program
- Demonstrating the value of public company auditors
- CAQ alert 2022-01: Addendum to November 6, 2021 International Practices Task Force Document for Discussion: Monitoring Inflation in Certain Countries
In this issue:
- Statement from the Acting Chief Accountant on the FASB’s agenda consultation: Engagement with investors and other stakeholders vital to development of high quality accounting standards
- Nominations open for qualified candidates to join IESBA as board members
- FRC: Guidance – auditor climate related reporting responsibilities under ISA (UK) 720
- IASB issues IFRS Accounting Taxonomy update for disclosure of accounting policies and definition of accounting estimates
- IAASB: New implementation guide available for quality management for audits of financial statements
- IESBA takes action to respond to transformative effects of technology
- IESBA addresses independence expectations in group audits
- FRC consults on revised guidance for recognizing key audit partners for local audit
- PwC’s Tim Ryan Tapped to Lead CAQ Governing Board
In this issue:
- Anthony Thompson and Erica Williams sworn in as PCAOB board member, chair
- PCAOB to form two new advisory groups to enhance engagement with investors and other stakeholders
- 2022-2023 IAASB Work plan approved pending PIOB approval
- FRC releases a three-year plan and budget to prepare for the transition to ARGA
- IAASB releases conforming and consequential amendments aligning existing IAASB standards to new, revised quality management standards
- FRC: New research with audit committee chairs published
- Q&A: IAASB head on audit’s role in combating fraud, ESG, new technologies, and more
- Discussion document: Monitoring inflation in certain countries, November 2021
- Audit Committee Practices Report: Common threads across audit committees
In this issue:
- SEC adopts amendments to finalize rules relating to the Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act
- Statement from the Acting Chief Accountant on OCA’s continued focus on high quality financial reporting in a complex environment
- SEC approves 2022 PCAOB budget and accounting support fee
- PCAOB makes HFCAA determinations regarding mainland China and Hong Kong
- 2022 GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy, SEC Reporting Taxonomy, and DQC Rules Taxonomy now available
- FRC announces areas of supervisory focus for 2022/23
- IAASB: New technology-focused FAQ available
- 2023 IASB Research Forum – call for papers
- The demand for assurance engagements on sustainability and ESG reporting is high. Here is how the IAASB is responding.
- CAQ Audit planning alert for auditors of brokers and dealers
In this issue:
- SEC updates electronic filing requirements
- SEC approves PCAOB rule to establish a framework for determinations under the Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act
- SEC appoints new chairperson and board members to the PCAOB
- Christina Ho and Kara M. Stein sworn in as PCAOB board members
- PCAOB approves 2022 budget
- FASB proposes changes to interim disclosure requirements
- FASB improves discount rate guidance for lessees that are not public business entities
- FAF trustees reappoint Marsha L. Hunt to the FASB
- FASB proposes expanded disclosures and improved accounting related to the credit losses standard
- IAASB announces new board member appointments for 2022
- IOSCO: IFRS Foundation’s International Sustainability Standards Board on the right track
- IESBA welcomes launch of eCode 2.0 and eIS; IAASB publishes fully-digital handbook of pronouncements on eIS
- IAASB and IFAC release less complex entities consultation survey
- FRC report sets out what it expects from audit firms to deliver high quality audit
- IESBA announces new board member appointments for 2022
- FRC publishes latest edition of Developments in Audit
- AICPA welcomes new International Sustainability Standards Board
- Statement of support for the International Sustainability Standards Board
- 2021 audit committee transparency barometer
- PCAOB: Supervision of audits involving other auditors
In this issue:
- Statement from the Acting Chief Accountant: The importance of high quality independent audits and effective audit committee oversight to high quality financial reporting to investors
- Forum for Auditors of Small Businesses and Broker-Dealers
- New FASB standard improves consistency in accounting for acquired revenue contracts with customers in a business combination
- Gabriela Figueiredo Dias to lead the IESBA
- FRC review of Alternative Performance Measures by UK companies finds room for improvement
- FRC review of IAS 37 ‘Provisions, Contingent Liabilities, and Contingent Assets’
- IESBA: Now available: 2021 handbook
- FRC publishes oversight responsibilities and independent supervisor reports
- FRC to focus on climate-related reporting as new disclosure requirements beckon
- FRC publishes latest major local audit quality inspection results
- AICPA issues new standard on auditor’s risk assessment
This edition of the PPTA discusses changes in the SEC general counsel, the PCAOB’s newly adopted rules for creating HFCAA determinations, and the FASB’s proposed improvements for equity securities. Also included are new FRC International guidelines, such as the International Sustainability Standards Setting.
The August PPTA covers SEC’s enhanced access to financial disclosure data, PCAOB board members public statement, FASB 2021 Investor Outreach Report, and FRC guidance for auditors. The CAQ also posted a summary and analysis of the most recent publicly-available ESG data for S&P 500 companies.
This month’s recap includes the SEC’s statement on investor protection related to recent developments in China, the FASB issued Accounting Standards Update, and the IASB proposed reduced disclosure requirements for subsidiaries. The CAQ also provides BEIS consultation on restoring trust in audit and corporate governance.
In this issue, the SEC announced it’s Annual Regulatory Agenda, the PCAOB announced a reassessment of stakeholder engagement, the FASB appointed two new members (Jack Ciesielski and Brandon Coleman) to the Emerging Issues Task Force, the IAASB made new Quality Management Implementation Guides available, and the AICPA issued a Statement on Auditing Standards. The CAQ also provided an alert about SEC amendments to certain auditor independence requirements.
In this feature, SEC Commissioner Allison Herren Lee gave a speech on the myths and misconceptions about ‘materiality,’ the PCAOB proposes rules to create a framework for the Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act determinations, the FASB proposes to improve and expand hedge accounting, the FRC issues revised UK auditing standards for the auditor’s responsibilities relating to fraud, and audit risk assessment guidance was added to the AICPA and CIMA’s digital assets practice aid.
This PPTA details multiple SEC public statements, the PCAOB nominations for its Standards Advisory Group, and the new IAASB guidance on helping advance assurance for non-financial reporting. Also included is an AFC published resource examining the implications of artificial intelligence in relation to mitigating fraud risk.
This installation of PPTA delves into the SEC seeking public comment on amendments to the HFCAA (Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act), the PCAOB approving the formation of a new advisory group, the FASB announcing that the SEC had accepted the 2021 GAAP Financial Reporting Taxonomy, the IFIAR urging continued audit quality improvement efforts, and the CAQ also published a guide to the PCAOB’s inspection program.
This edition of the PPTA discusses the SEC’s Allison Herren Lee’s statement on the review of climate-related disclosure, the FASB announces a new investor education video on convertible instruments, the IASB proposes to extend support for lessees accounting for COVID-19-related rent concessions, and the AICPA’s proposed new quality standards are aimed to enhance and maintain a CPA firm’s audit quality. Readers can also find a CAQ comment letter on the IAASB’s Discussion Paper.
This month details changes in the roles within the SEC, the departure of PCAOB board member J. Robert Brown, Jr, FASB clarifies the scope of recent reference rate reform guidance, the IFRS Foundation publishes educational material to support companies in applying going concern requirements, and the AICPA promotes Sue Coffey to CEO of public accounting. The CAQ also posted highlights from its SEC Regulations Committee’s virtual meeting.
In this issue, the SEC announces new Investor Advisory Committee members, the PCAOB issues COVID-19 spotlight and provides insights and reminders for auditors, the FASB proposes improvements to accounting for acquired revenue contracts with customers in a business combination, the FRC highlights importance of a challenge culture in audit firms, and the AICPA hires Jennifer Burns, CPA as Chief Auditor. The CAQ also reports on common themes that emerged in data from the first year of CAMs implementation.
This month’s report showcases the SEC’s statement on the third meeting with audit firm representatives regarding audit quality in emerging markets, the PCAOB approves 2021 budget and reaffirms strategic direction, and the FASB issues a standard that delays long-duration insurance guidance and updates early adoption provisions. In International news, the IAASB communique details plans to address complexity, understandability, scalability, and proportionality, and the IASB proposes amendment to its leases standard to improve accounting for sale and leaseback transactions.
In this synopsis, the SEC Division of Corporate Finance updates CD&Is, the PCAOB issues a staff update and preview of 2019 inspection observations, the FASB proposes three targeted improvements to the leases standard, the FRC publishes future of corporate reporting discussion paper, and the CAQ posts SEC Regulations Committee highlights from July 29, 2020.
In the September PPTA, the SEC modernizes disclosures for banking registrants, the PCAOB updates research and standard-setting agendas, the IFAC calls for a new Sustainability Standards Board alongside the IASB, and the CAQ shares a video highlighting skepticism as a focus for mitigating fraud risk.
This installation discusses August staffing changes and reappointments at the SEC, the FASB updating financial reporting requirements related to convertible instruments and contracts in entity’s own equity, and the IASB issuing IFRS Taxonomy Update for COVID-19-Related Rent Concessions. Also featured from the CAQ is Anti-Fraud in Action: Balancing big data and data ethics during COVID-19.
In this recap, the SEC announces the creation of the Event and Emerging Rick Examination Team, the PCAOB posts “Conversations with audit committee chairs: COVID-19 and the audit,” the FASB proposes concepts for defining elements in a financial statement, and the IAASB publishes COVID-19 related guidance on review engagements on interim financial information. Also, the AICPA issues updated standards on accounting estimates and disclosures for auditors navigating a complex financial reporting environment.
This month’s PPTA details the SEC extending relief for virtual meetings of fund boards, PCAOB issues six largest U.S. Firm Inspection Reports in a new format, the FASB offers limited effective date delays on revenue recognition and leases standards, and the IAASB publishes COVID-19 related guidance on auditing accounting estimates and related disclosures.
This month, the SEC provides temporary, conditional relief to allow small businesses to pursue expedited crowdfunding offerings, the PCAOB posts a spotlight on audits involving Cryptoassets, the FAF issues a 2019 Annual Report, and the IASB issues a package of narrow-scope amendments to IFRS Standards. The CAQ also shared COVID-19 Resources.
In this PPTA, the SEC enhances standards for critical market infrastructure, PCAOB staff provides reminders for audits nearing completion in light of COVID-19, the FASB seeks public comment on a proposal to offer limited effective date delays on time-sensitive standards, IOSCO releases a statement on application of accounting standards during the COVID-19 outbreak. The CAQ also provides COVID-19 Resources.
This issue provides an extensive list of COVID-19 Resources and news. Also included, the SEC adopts rule amendments and new standards, the PCAOB publishes 2019 Annual Report, the FASB issues new ASUs, the FRC publishes a report and discussion paper on technology in the audit, and the AFC publishes Assessing Corporate Culture: A Proactive Approach to Deter Misconduct.
In this addition, the SEC proposes amendments to modernize the infrastructure for the collection, consolidation, and dissemination of market data, the FASB proposes improvements to accounting for contributed nonfinancial assets by not-for-profit organizations, the FRC outlines plans for an operational separation of the UK’s largest firms, and the AFC publishes Fraud and Emerging Tech: Blockchain.
In this issue of PPTA, the SEC proposes amendments to modernize and enhance financial disclosures and issues MD&A metrics guidance, FASB clarifies the accounting for equity securities, AICPA seeks feedback on insurance entities working drafts, and accounting bodies call for improved UN Sustainable Development Goals disclosures. The CAQ also posts highlights of the September 2019 SEC Regulations Committee.
In this synopsis, the PCAOB publishes Critical Audit Matters Spotlight, the SEC approves 2020 PCAOB budget, the FASB issues a standard to improve accounting for income taxes, IASB proposes a new standard to bring greater transparency to ‘non-GAAP’ measures, and the AICPA issues new standards. The CAQ white paper highlights the role of auditors in company-prepared information.
In this issue, the PCAOB approves the 2020 budget and reaffirms the five-year strategic plan, the SEC staff issues SAB on new credit losses standard, the FASB issues new and proposed ASUs, and the AICPA proposes updates to audit and accounting guide for the gaming industry.
In this report, the SEC announces PCAOB Board member changes, the FASB votes to delay effective dates for major standards, the FRC announces a new leadership team, and the CAQ issues new ‘Profession in Focus’ video.
This installation discusses the new rule the SEC adopts to allow all issuers to ‘test-the-waters,’ the FASB proposes guidance to assist in transition away from interbank offered rates to new reference rates, the IASB amends IFRS standards in response to the IBOR reform, AICPA practice aid offers guidance on credit losses for auditors and the CAQ releases it’s 13th annual Main Street Investor Survey.
In this installment, the PCAOB publishes a report on interim inspection program related to broker-dealer audits, the SEC increases fee rates for FY 2020, FASB proposes improvements related to distinguishing liabilities from equity, the IASB proposes amendments to IFRS standards to improve accounting policy disclosures, and CAQ issues new ‘Profession in Focus’ video.
In this review, SEC staff publishes a statement highlighting risks for market participants to consider as they transition away from LIBOR, the PCAOB posts CAM resources for audit committees and investors, FAF Trustees open search for new board chair, and the U.K. government consults on CMA recommendations. The CAQ also comments on proposed SEC rules.
In this issue, the PCAOB updates the Data and Technology project web page, the SEC adopts an amendment to a single issuer exemption for broker-dealers, the FASB seeks public company input on segment reporting, and the EC issues new rules to support the digitalization and transparency of financial reports.
In this installation, the SEC proposes amendments to the accelerated and large accelerated filer definitions, FASB issues new, proposed ASUS, the PCAOB issues staff guidance that offers a deeper dive into the communication of CAMS, and the FCR publishes a guide to help smaller listed companies improve financial reporting. A CAQ tool helps audit committees oversee implementation of new credit losses standard.
In this PPTA, the PCAOB releases the 2018 Annual Report, the FASB rejects a proposal on the credit losses standard, the IAASB seeks input on audits of less complex entities, and we introduce new videos on our website.
In this edition, the PCAOB staff provides guidance in the advance of CAM effective dates, the SEC adopts rules to implement FAST Act mandate, the FRC consults on stronger growing concern standard for auditors, and CAQ comments SEC’s Request for Comment on Earnings Releases and Quarterly Reports.
In this release, the SEC proposes to expand ‘test-the-waters’ modernization reform to all issuers, FASB proposes targeted transition relief to institutions applying credit losses standard, the IAASB launches future strategy and work plan consultation, and Senators introduce bipartisan legislation providing regulatory relief to spur innovation.
In this release, Corp Fin issues a statement regarding recommencement of operations, FASB issues staff Q&A document on estimating credit loss reserves, the FRC launches consultation on changes to Third Country Auditors (Fees) Instrument, and the AICPA votes to issue OMnibus Statement on Auditing Standards. The CAQ Year in Review recaps 2018 activities.