|Press Release||May 24, 2011|
CAQ to Fund Five New Auditing Research Projects
~~Awards to Academics Demonstrate CAQ’s Commitment to Independent Research~~
Washington, DC – The Center for Audit Quality (CAQ) has announced the funding of five independent, scholarly auditing-related research projects.
The following projects were chosen by the CAQ’s Research Advisory Board, comprised of members from academia and the auditing profession, from 48 proposals that addressed such topics as audit quality, financial statement fraud deterrence and detection, professional judgment and professional skepticism:
- “A Field Investigation of Auditing Fair Values” by Jean Bedard and Nate Cannon, Bentley University
- “Why and How do Mid-Level Accounting/Finance Managers Perpetrate Financial Reporting Fraud?” by Ikseon Suh, Marquette University, Kristina Linke, University of Groningen, and Joseph Wall, Carthage College
- “Confidence Matters: The Effect of Expressed Client Confidence on Auditor Judgment” by Sanaz Aghazadeh, University of Oklahoma
- “The Influence of Social Costs and Strategy on Auditor-Auditor Consultations” by Tammie Rech, University of South Carolina
- “Professional Skepticism and Auditing Fair Value: Effects of Task Structure, Time Pressure and Procedure Framing” by Mark Nelson and Eldar Maksymov, Cornell University
“The academic community is an important voice in the ongoing discussion of auditing-related issues,” said CAQ Executive Director Cindy Fornelli. “We expect these research projects to inform the profession’s efforts to continuously improve audit quality.”
# # #
The Center for Audit Quality (CAQ) is an autonomous public policy organization dedicated to enhancing investor confidence and public trust in the global capital markets. The CAQ fosters high quality performance by public company auditors, convenes and collaborates with other stakeholders to advance the discussion of critical issues requiring action and intervention, and advocates policies and standards that promote public company auditors’ objectivity, effectiveness and responsiveness to dynamic market conditions. Based in Washington, D.C., the CAQ is affiliated with the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. For more information, visit www.thecaq.org.